- Brief description
- Varying and easy hike through a wild and romantic gorge until we reach the interesting castle ruin Wolkenstein, high above the Ennstal.
- Starting point
- Wörschach parking area nearby the town hall and the church
- Best season
- This is a magnificent circular hike, with several interesting highlights for the whole family. From the centre of the village, the Wörschach gorge is already signposted.
Walking time approx. 15 minutes; by car you follow the signposts Wörschachklamm and ruin Wolkenstein – parking area.
First of all you follow a short section along the river upwards to the Mauthütte. The trail takes you partly on footbridges, then across ladders and bridges. The rocks on both sides of the river are steadily moving closer together until there’s only a small gap free to the top. It’s really impressive, how the water has gouged its way through the rocks.
You walk approx. 30 minutes to the exit of the gorge. Then the character of the landscape is changing: we walk through a big kettle with mixed woodland (many beeches) upwards to a lovely bench near the Kohlstatt, where in the early days charcoal was produced.
Then it goes on downwards through the forest. You come across the famous Schwefelquelle (sulphur spring) and walk until the Eselranch (donkey ranch - petting zoo & refreshment stop).
From there we have to walk only several minutes to the castle ruin Wolkenstein, which is enthroned on a free platform, high above the Ennstal. The still very well maintained walls give ample scope for the imagination and from the oriel you have a nice view of the whole upper Ennstal. In approx. 10 minutes down to the parking area.
- Well made gorge trail. Root trail in a beautiful high forest
- Highest point
- 915 m
- Height profile
- athletic shoes, rain gear
- Additional information
Tour auf eigene Gefahr! Es wird keinerlei Haftung bzgl. allfällig gegebener bzw. auftretender Alpingefahren (Wetter, etc..) übernommen
Abschnitte dieses Wanderweges sind Teil der Nordroute des Weitwanderweges "Vom Gletscher zum Wein"
- From the B320 to Wörschach.
- Parking Area in Wörschach
Die Tour Circular hike through the Wörschachklamm to the ruin Wolkenstein wird von outdooractive.com bereitgestellt.
Noch schnell für den anstehenden Ausflug versichern? Inkl. Rettungshubschrauber ab 3,98 €Jetzt Informieren