Waldhausen – Grein Stage
long-distance walking trail
- Brief description
- The Donausteig-simply fabulous! Summit assault onto the Wetzlstein - one of the seven donausteig-summits! We hike on this panoramic stage through the hills of the Aist-Naarn-Kuppenlande (region): from Waldhausen over the Wetzlstein to bad Kreuzen and along the Danube down to Grein. We discover the magnificent monastery of Waldhausen as an end and a beginning, divine masonry, the second largest castle in Upper Austria, the healing waters of the Wolfsschlucht (canyon)...
- Starting point
- Waldhausen-the Donausteig-starting point "Waldhousen" lies 20 m after the south exit of the market place south of the street.
- Best season
- The start point of this magnificent stage is Waldhausen. The historical market is located in a basin surrounded by wooded peaks of the atmospheric Aist-Naarn-Kuppenlandes (region). The market and the eponymous Abbey are a symbol for the reclamation of this remote region. Wonderful facades, craftsmen granite works, beautiful GartenAnlagen,... make the village a beautiful jewel! From the market square, we pass the unique parish church and follow the monastery trail up to the former Abbey Waldhausen - a jewel! The magnificent Collegiate Church tells of pious abbey. Shortly thereafter, we leave the municipal area of Waldhausen and hike gently up and down through the beautiful hilly landscape. The rise on the edge of the Waldhausener basin begins at Langenbach. Only at the top, is the whole dimension of the basin open to us - a laboriously created landscape of full harmony! On the other side of the mountain, the landscape opens to become a viewing point: wide views towards the Danube valley, from the Ötscher all the way to the Traunstein,... On forest trails, farm and dirt roads we walk down a scenic ridge to the Aumühle in the Gießenbachtal (valley). Here begins the summit assault. We follow the meanders of the Gießenbaches (stream) shortly and then gain over forest and meadow trails altitude. At the Wetzelstein we are on one of the seven Danube climbing peak - congratulations! The eyes wander far over the Aist-Naarn-Kuppenland allthe way to the Alps. A few feet on we then discover the Mystic Moonstone. The descent to Bad Kreuzen is enjoyable through hilly landscapes. Shortly before bad Kreuzen, we hike through the wild and romantic Kasmüllerbachtal (valley). The Dr. Otto Fleischanderl-Steig (trail) reminds us the beginnings of Bad Kreuzen as a spa resort. A short climb to the next ridge brings us to a Donausteig-junction. Turn right uphill, anB reach the beautiful village centre of the historical spa town bad Kreuzen. Left downhill we arrive at the Castle Kreuzes, the once second-largest castle of Upper Austria. The magnificent view from the main tower of the castle belongs to the most beautiful of the Donausteig - simply fabulous! On wonderful hiking paths, we descend the wild romantic Wolfschlucht (gorge). Beautiful mixed woodland, wild river terrain, beautiful lighting, historical spa stations,... characterize this special experience. At the end of the Wolfsschlucht, a short road leads uphill to Lehen. From there, it goes back through rural hills down to the Danube and Grein, the gateway to the Strudengau. pure nature enjoyment!
Discover the following features with the Donausteig-diary:
-Waldhausen-a hidden treasure
-Donausteig-starting point "Waldhausen"
-Parish Church of Waldhausen- divine granite art
-Jubilee bust-Long live the Emperor!
-St. Nepomuk with chronogram
-Collegiate Church of Waldhausen- the end and the beginning
-The Dimbach and and the Struden
Download: Donausteig-diary "Stage 4_G08 Waldhausen Grein" - yet to follow!
- From the Donausteig-starting point in Waldhausen, we go first past the south side of the Market place, then past the parish church and the cemetery. The monastery trail, a beautiful alley, leads us after almost up to the former monastery of Waldhausen at the Schloßberg. There at the intersection with the hiking starting place turn left at the Honigschleuderweges. After about 200 m before a nice wayside cross, turn right and follow the dirt road for a short section of the forest. At the paved farm road turn left and continue to the next T intersection. Now turn right and cross the road uphill, at St. Mary's Chapel, to the small terrain saddle. There turn left and continue along over the Hill. At the Gumpetshof (farm) we take the path to the right downhill, until we reach the asphalt street at the transformer in Langenbach. Turn right uphill and after approximately 400 m turn left. A forest path brings us quickly uphill past the farms Kleingruber and Großgruber. The forest road leads us up the mountain and turns left next to the asphalt road. Turn right uphill. At the next farm, we turn left and reach the Donausteig-resting point „Dörl, Gameritt“ after a few metres downhill. Further, we walk downhill towards the south. On dirt roads and short pieces of asphalt, we reach the farm hamlet of Dorferhäuser. From there a dirt road in a large loop to the right brings us further down into the Gießenbachtal (valley) to the Inn Aumühle. We turn right onto the asphalt road and continue uphill and after approx. 250 m, turn left onto the asphalted road „Gießenbachtal“. In a long line the Donausteig leaves the road shortly and follows the Giessenbach (stream) to the Klausmühle. There, we return to the road. In front of a sharp right curve a forest rails branches off to the left. On this, we soon reach a large Vierkanthof (farm). Turn right here, and pass the second house. Then a sharp left right combination of curves bring us through a short section of forest and over the fields to the next farm (the highest point of the stage; the Wetzlstein is located a few meters northeast of us). On a paved road, we reach the Donausteig-resting point "Moodstein" a bit downhill. Turn right and follow the asphalt road downhill and across the next crossing continue straight - a road takes us through the following forest. The asphalt road then follows shortly left and turns right again before the large Vierkanthof (farm) into a dirt road. First across meadows, then through the forest downhill we reach an asphalt road on a creek. Turn right and continue uphill to the Kollroß-Kapelle (chapel). Cross the intersection. The trail leads through the Valley, past a farm and an s-curve to the paved road on the opposite hill. Turn left downhill. In the forest a hiking trail turns right and passes through the Kasmüllerbachtal (valley). At a former mill, we reach again the asphalt street, which shortly thereafter in a sharp right turn take us uphill to the crossroads of Bad Kreuzen (large crossing, granite wayside cross). For those who want to enter the market Bad Kreuzen, must turn right here and follow the opposite road into the village. The way to Grein here runs to the left however. Directly passed the Castle Kreuzen and the Donausteing-resting point "Burg Kreuzen" , a trail leads downhill through the Wolfsschlucht (gorge). At the southern end of the gorge the forest path leads to the left uphill to a farmhouse, where we turn right downhill. Before the Speckalm (cabin) (Lehen), the path turns left and follows the road downhill. Once at a white wooden chapel a meadow path brings us to the next House and then the trail leads through the forest up to an asphalt road. We follow the road left to the rectangular intersection. Turn right downhill, past the Hahnwirt (inn). At the next forest edge turn sharply right. Passed a forest and meadow we reach the Donausteig-resting point „Mühberg" . Meadow and forest trails lead down to the first settlement road by Grein. At the T-junction turn left and always follow the larger road up to the train tracks. The Donausteig-resting point „Storchenblick“ (across from the garden center Luger) lies in the green area. The Donausteig circles this green area on the south side and runs along a footpath into the town of Grein. The Donausteig-starting point "Grein" is located directly at the Donaulände (park).
To facilitate the orientation, the Donausteig was provided with its own system of orientation - you will find the description here .
- Highest point
- 617 m
- Grein – the Donausteig-starting point"Grein" is at the Donaulände (park) in a green area between the main road and the parking lots in the direction of the city (Opposite to the Cafe Schinagl with the ferry dock of the opposite tourism Oberösterreich Touristik- the only House directly on the Donaulände!)
- Height profile
- Simple hiking gear; shoes, rucksack, and drinking bottle
- Take you time and enjoy!
- The Donausteig-starting point "Waldhausen" lies in sight of the south exit of the market place of Waldhausen (Navigation: A-4391 Waldhausen, Markt).
- Public transportation
- The few parking opportunities at the market place are short period parking lots. You can park free of charge at the cemetery parking lot approx. 3 walking minutes from the market place.
Noch schnell für den anstehenden Ausflug versichern? Inkl. Rettungshubschrauber ab 3,98 €Jetzt Informieren
Waldhausen – Grein Stage
Tours in the area
Ysper-Weitental Rundwanderweg Etappe 4
24 km / 447 Hm
Donausteig Stage 4_G06 Grein - Sarmingstein: „Through the wild Strudengau“
16 km / 988 Hm
Mitterkirchen – Grein Stage
22 km / 604 Hm
Ysper-Weitental Rundwanderweg Etappe 3
19 km / 514 Hm
Ysper-Weitental Rundwanderweg Etappe 2
18 km / 515 Hm
Weitwanderweg Nibelungengau 1: Sarmingstein - Persenbeug
21 km / 810 Hm