- Brief description
On the tracks of Vauban and Schoelcher
- Starting point
Place d'Armes Neuf-Brisach
Niederfeld0.0 kmAlgolsheim0.4 kmAuf die Alte Strasse2.3 kmObersaasheim2.6 kmÉglise Saint-Jacques-le-Majeur6.1 kmHeiteren6.3 kmGrosse Aecker9.7 kmBalgau11.2 kmZwischen dem Hirtzfelder und Willerweg11.8 kmFessenheim12.7 kmFohrenhoff16.7 kmLe Soleil du Rhin31.0 kmÉglise Royale Saint-Louis32.7 kmNeubreisach32.7 km
- Best season
This bicycle tour, which harmoniously mixes together history and nature, will bring you through 2 incredible sites packed full of history: the fortifications of Neuf-Brisach built by Vauban, listed as a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO since 2008 and the Museum of Victor Schoelcher, who was a fervent anti-slavery campaigner and defender of human rights. These two locations are linked together by the Canal Rhône au Rhin, which owns a very dynamic flora and fauna.
Step 1 :
- Follow the direction of Volgelsheim/Germany - Strasbourg gate (just before the train rails).
Step 2 :
- Follow the bicycle & pedestrian path leading to Algolsheim on the right and drive under the bridge. Cross the road and follow the bicycle path on the right towards the Canal du Rhône au Rhin/Etangs (Ponds).
- After the parking lot, take the limestone track right, it will take you along the Canal du Rhône au Rhin. Follow the track for about 12 km until you see the signalization for Fessenheim (blue lock house), cross the road and take the bicycle track on the left to Fessenheim.
Step 3 :
- At the entrance of the town, follow the bicycle path straight ahead (rue de la Hardt) until the next blue bicycle signalization and then take the bicycle pathEV15 on the left leading to Balgau/Heiteren (vv13).
Step 4 :
- Continue straight ahead through the village of Heiteren until the church, then turn right (rue du Rhin) and follow the bicycle path (vv13) direction Obersaasheim until the end of the village, then turn left.
Step 5 :
- Follow the bicycle path direction Volgelsheim / Neuf-Brisach (under the bridge) to return to the starting point.
- Highest point
- 214 m
Place d'Armes Neuf-Brisach
- Height profile
- © outdooractive.com
Remember taking good equipment with you on the trip: a helmet, enough water to stay hydrated and a toolkit in case you need to repair your bike.
- Safety instructions
Mainly on cycle paths, no particular difficulty
Points of interest :Neuf-Brisach the fortifications built by VaubanFessenheim : possibility to visit the Victor SchoelcherMuseum based in the city center and you will find a fresco of Victor Schoelcher on the wall of the school, created by the artist Guy Denning (Street Art)
Parking Place d'Armes Neuf-Brisach
AuthorThe tour Cycle route: BL412 Nature and UNESCO heritage. From Neuf-Brisach to Fessenheim is used by outdooractive.com provided.